Sunday, March 25, 2012

Vacation time!

I made the most of my first day back in Vancouver in two weeks. I had to, it was sunny and the forecast is not looking pleasant for the week.

I walked along the river in the morning to get groceries and look for a blender. After failing in the latter I went back home, watched Californication while eating breakfast and then took to the trails for a 22 km run through the forest. The long run gave me plenty of time to contemplate my vacation.

For the last two weeks I split my time between Calgary and Montreal. The former being where I grew up and the other a place I had never visited. Calgary was great as I visited with family and old friends. I went running numerous times along the river valley and even got in a long run with my friend Morgan. My friend Brodie and i contemplated buying cross bows but unfortunately they were a little pricey. Whenever I go home it feels like I never left. My family and I settle into a routine and everything goes smoothly and is very relaxing.

Montreal was anything but routine but was equally as relaxing. I flew in with a nasty case of food poisoning and after a mile high puke, my first impressions of the city were of their lovely washrooms. Which are nice and thank goodness quite clean. I spent the rest of the Saturday sleeping and drinking ginger ale.

The best bagels in the world, the only thing I could keep down on Sunday. 
The rest of the week was spent running on Mont Royal, exploring the numerous cafes, drinking holes, bagel places and bookstores of the city. I discovered there are as many hipsters in Montreal as in Vancouver. The city has a great vibe and I can't wait to visit again. I don't think I got to bed before 3 am any night but somehow always woke up refreshed in the morning. 

People in Montreal love to protest. This one was about tuition.
I did several runs on the "mountain"and it was a mixture of steep trails, gravel paths, stunning viewpoints and muddy creeks. I had fun exploring and getting very dirty. I was blessed with +26 weather and I even got a little bit of a tan. I mainly ran to keep the base up and only did one really strong tempo run. 

The necessary self-portrait. This one in the Old Port of Montreal.
Luckily, I got back to Vancouver and was able to do my long run today. I went up and played on the Baden Powell trail above North Vancouver. In 22k I climbed 1000m and kept up my race pace. Not exactly a slow long run but I felt like going fast and so I did. I was very happy about the run and now I ramp up my training as my first ultra marathon of the season approaches on May 12. I need to work on my climbing.


I am ending the weekend and recovering from my run with some delicious chocolate milk and a some homemade flat crust pizza. Ground beef, peppers, green onions and four cheeses on top. Homemade pizza is the perfect food. 


No comments:

Post a Comment